Welcome Weak Wone

12:30 AM The Hydes 2 Comments

I grew up (some may be arguing with me already) in a very carnivorous family. Roast on Sunday, eggs for breakfast. Basically, it wasn't a meal if there wasn't meat in it. As a Samoan friend told me recently, "no meat, no eat."

My long road to veganism I'm sure will unfold over the next weeks and months. As For now, my husband Matthew and I are vegans, living in Amerikan Samoa of all places and we have found some pretty creative ways to minimize the meat. These recipes are a result of the creative juices that have flowed.

There are 3 things in this world that I love - food, family, and my rice cooker....in varying order. Having lived in many studio apartments I have come to love my husband, from being in very close courters with him, and, I adore my rice cooker. Also, when I take the time to cook I hate to see my efforts go to waste so many of the recipes are remakes.


As for the "weak" one. I must admit, sometimes I see a cheese pizza or I hear about my moms baked Salmon and I realize the flesh is weak (hmm....take that one how you will). My hope is that these recipes will be "adapted to the weak and weakest off all."
With that said, here is week 1 -

WEEK 1

Monday: Cookin Quinoa
Tuesday: Fried Rice
Wednesday: Bean Burritos
Thursday: Hawaiian Chili & Rice
Friday: Oodle soup
Saturday: Pai "le fala"
Sunday: My Momma's Meatloaf

Obviously, mix and match, use them as you will. These are just suggestions. Be creative! As you'll see, I can't stand using recipes! I love cookbooks but usually I read a recipe, get the general idea and then run with it. I'll try to be as specific as possible for my loved ones that are cullinarily impaired.

Grocery List

Quinoa (if you can, always buy in bulk.)
1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
red onion
4 bell pepper (at least 1 of a different color)
Brown Rice
1 bag of frozen veggies
soy sauce or liquid aminos
Flour tortillas
brown Lentils
2 can vegetarian refried beans or bulk pinto beans
2 pkg taco seasoning
bulk black beans
bulk kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 onions
5 lb bag of potatoes
1 lb bag of carrots
1 stalk celery
1 stalk Leeks (optional)
Whole Wheat Flour
Baking Powder
garlic powder
Vegetable oil
Non sweet "Milk"
Salt
Oats

Okay, I know that seems like a lot but I would bet you already have a lot of these things in your cupboard already. If there is something you don't like or you're allergic to feel free to substitute or leave it out. Now, these recipes usually are for 2-4 people. I often try to make at least enough for another meal when I cook so I can freeze or use it up in something else.

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I'm so excited about your new blog! It looks awesome, and I am soooo gonna try out your quinoa and fried rice recipes! Looking forward to the next ones! I am so gonna leech off of you, 'cause I really like this stuff, but don't like doing the research to find good recipes, so, THANKS for doing the research for me! Love ya!
    Marneen

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Marneen! I've been wanting to do this for a while but just found my motivation. Let me know how they turn out when you make them and let me know wht the kids think! Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete