Day 1: Cookin Quinoa (pronounced keen-whaaaaa)

4:42 PM The Hydes 3 Comments


My first bout with Quinoa was more then frustrating. I got the kind that needs pre-washing and these little suckers get everywhere! I finished washing them, put them in my beloved little rice cooker, turn around and they were everywhere. I don't know if my animal magnetism just drew them to me or if I was just having a really bad day with static cling but as I cleaned up the kitchen I found them on the counter, in the sink, and in my hair(don't ask).


I was fully prepared to bid quinoa adue but then I found the pre washed! I dumped it in the cooker added water and that was it. Another big save by moder technology. After that we were hooked. We enjoyed it so much we had a quinoa party ( ya, we're geeks....what of it?) Everyone brought a quiona dish. Some friends even brought inkan warrior quinoa balls (prof there are people geekier then we are) But what is quinoa? This link should clear up the matter

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa/

This salad is one of the simplest, best tasting salads I know. It works great as a side dish or its own meal. Fantastic at a pot luck and nobody even has to know it's vegan.


Quinoa Salad

1-2 C Pre washed Quinoa
1/2 red onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
juice of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste


Place Quinoa in your rice cooker with double the amount of water (1 c quinoa = 2 c water) let the quinoa cook through a cycle. While thats cooking chop your onion, and pepper. one the Quinoa is done fluff with a fork. Add onion, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Cover and let cool in the fridge. Serve with a slice of fresh home made wheat bread (recipe to follow)


That's it, your basic recipe for Quinoa salad....now let your imagination run with it, like olives? add olives. Like garbanzos? knock yourself out!


You Might Also Like

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you went vegan on me to. No offense! Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its probably easy to be vegan when there is not much around to eat but wait till you get back and I tempt you with a huge, cheesey, pepperoni pizza! The only memory I have of quinoa is once when we were making it and it burned and stunk...I've always wondered what it would have tasted like. Maybe I will try this receipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally remember that! It did stink! I learned to do it in the rice cooker which has saved me many times! As for your pepperoni pizza, it means nothing to me! wait till you see MY pizza recipe. My friends couldn't tell the meat one from the vegan one....Yes! I have friends!

    ReplyDelete