In The Raw: Raw Vegan Hot Dogs

8:46 PM The Hydes 6 Comments

Alright - With the new year comes a new format. I've found that the weekly plan ahead wasn't working very well so I'm just going to post recipes as they come. If you found the weekly posts with menus and shopping lists useful please let me know but if there not helpen' anybody then we'll just move on.

We've had some pretty great meals lately that have left me feeling even better then before. It makes so much more sense that if you want to stay alive then you eat food that is alive. That said, this recipe may not be the best one to start out with but it sure has brought a smile to my face.

The first day I was going to go raw I started out doing a bunch of research. I had a weeks worth of meals planned out and I was going full steam ahead - 100% raw freakin vegan!....that lasted until breakfast when I had to have my toast. (remember the blog about cravings and eating your neighbor?)

The next day I was talking to some friends (all carnivores) about my latest vegan fiasco. I told them about how I had made raw vegan hot dogs. My friend said, " you eat raw meat?" He still can't wrap his brain around someone not eating meat...I'm working with him.

The next day my father - in -  law (dad) was in town and I told my mother - in - law I would take him lunch. My dad is an Idaho meat and potatoes guy but he has been gracious enough to "quietly gunk down" some of my "concoctions" as to "not offend his favorite daughter - in - law" (his words, not mine) So, with raw vegan hot dog in hand I went to his work and gleefully handed it to him. He must have been really hungry because he ate it up, almost like he liked it!

So I know the suspense is killing you so without further adu, I give you, the Raw Vegan Hot Dog - who knows, maybe next we'll try raw vegan spam :)

 1 1/2 c almond meal
 1 small onion
1-2 c oats
 1 large carrot
1 cloves garlic
2 T honey
2 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp hickory smoke flavor
1 t marjoram
 ½ t celery seed
 ½ t salt
 red pepper flakes

Blend everything together in a in food processor till smooth adding the oats as needed to make a soft dough you can mold in your hands.
Form dough into hot dog shapes and dehydrate till firm but not hard.
As you can see, somone was ready to eat!


You Might Also Like

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a dehydrator, would it work to bake these in the oven? Or cook on the stove top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great question! If you're oven can go below 140 degrees then it will work great for this! If you're not worried about the raw then I would do them on the stove with a little olive oil. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! honey is not vegan, what can I use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question! Honey is just the sweeter I had on hand. You could probably substitute it with another and be just fine. I just haven't tried it with another but I'd love to hear what you use and how it turns out!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its not plant based as you use honey/ supports less colionizcolon which leads to lower populations of bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shut up and don't eat honey then

      Delete