Special: Hummus Off!

12:37 AM The Hydes 2 Comments

Here in Amerikan Samoa they're not exactly inclined to the vegan diet. In fact, when we first moved here we had a hard time even finding beans. We asked around and one lady said, "oh ya, I had a whole box of those but I just threw them away." I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. We came to the conclusion that perhaps they just don't know what to do with them.

I was very excited when I was asked to give a presentation on how to cook and utilize beans. It came off as a success! In fact I had several people just sitting around my table eating my samples up as fast as i could get them on the table. This little brother was particularly attentive to my hummus.


My dear friend Penny was a bit surprised when I told her about it. "Hummus just sounds so angry, like, 'your such a hummus' or 'your going to tell someone to hummus off.''' I guess anything related to beans is the equivalent to a swear word in Samoan.

Basic Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans/bulk home-cooked
EVOO
1 lemon
salt
garlic powder
Drain the can of garbanzo beans but save the liquid. (We prefer to buy bulk/bagged and cook them up ourselves - it is easy and so much more affordable plus you can control the salt content). Place everything in a food processor or blender. Add lemon juice, salt and garlic powder to taste. Blend till creamy, adding the bean liquid a little at a time.

Hummus is very versatile. The possibilities for mix-in's are endless. Try bell peppers or cucumber, sun dried tomatoes or olives. You'll pay $3-$5 at a grocery store for a few ounces but you can make it at home for less then $1.......your welcome.....now, hummus off. :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. Hummus is a great food! You can also add a small amount of Tahini and I experimented with a little Wasabi, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh Linda, You're speakin my language! I'll have to try wasabi next time! Thanks for the suggestion. Ko-ne-chi-whaaa (or is that hello?)

    ReplyDelete