Day 8: Lego my legume - Lentil Sloppy Jo's

8:27 PM The Hydes 3 Comments

“Aaaaaah...the lentil. The humble, earthy, slightly frumpy, a bit dowdy, no-I'm-not-looking-for-a-date-I'm-staying-home-and-washing-my-Birkenstocks lentil. And brown, so very broooooowwwwwwn is the lentil. But! With a little love, a few spices, and a bit of simmering the humble lentil becomes something entirely different.” (beanplate blog)

I LOVE THE LENTIL. I don’t know what it is about this simple little….thing. I mean, what is it? A bean, a grain, a veggie….what? http://www.pea-lentil.com/consumer.htm.
Well, for those out there who don't like beans, the lentil is only a cousin of the bean family. Kind of like a family reunion. You know your all somehow related, you even look like some of them but the line is still a bit blurry. Though they are distant cousins, eating the lentil feels like coming home! Lentils are just great! They’re versatile, inexpensive and they get the job done!

This recipe is for Lentil Sloppy Joe’s. Now, before you gawk at it, give it a try. It really does taste good, and the nutritional benefits are fantastic! In one cup of dry lentils (which is way more than I can eat....) there are 230 calories, 1 g of fat and 18 g of protein! http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4338/2. Gram for gram that’s more protein v. fat than a beef steak! So try enjoying this old favorite with a healthy twist.

Sloppy Joe's
1 cup lentils
2 cup water
1 minced onion
1 minced green pepper
1 pkg sloppy joe seasoning
1 small can tomato paste (or a can of sloppy joe sauce)


In your lovable rice cooker cook the lentils till tender, but not mushy. Sautee onion, green pepper till soft, and add to the lentils. Add dry ingredients and tomato paste.

Serve on whole wheat rolls. Makes excellent leftovers and freezes very well!!! I make a bunch and freeze it to pull out for a quick meal. You can also use leftover lentils from lentil tacos for this.

For more fun than a lentil should supply check this out!!!
http://www.pea-lentil.com/kids_page.htm

You Might Also Like

3 comments:

  1. At first I wanted to comment on your cute, fun writing style, but upon further reading, the dominant feeling I want to express is: I can't wait to try this recipe! This really sounds yummy. I will try it this week for sure! Thanks. You made me feel like a really Hungry Hyde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sarah! every time we talk to you or hear about you we get warm fuzzies! Let us know how it turns out. We're still dying for your fish recipe....yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. How do I post my own recipe?? I know you are dying to eat like a hungry Bearden!

    ReplyDelete