Day 13: Pizza

6:33 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

How could it be junk food week without pizza? Pizza is the ultimate junk food. You ask any little kid what their favorite food is and what will they say? And the one day a week at school that a kid, who usually brings a sack lunch, buys lunch?... Pizza day! And you can bet he knows what day it is. You ask him what he learned at school today and he has no clue, but he knows what day is pizza day!

Pizza day at our house was every friday. Pizza and a movie. We kept little cesars in business! Now that I'm married I make our pizza for pizza night. We prefer "califonia style" with a thin crispy crust. I've also found this supurb pizza seasoning that makes any pizza! Here are two pizza recipes. The first is a delicious vegetable pizza. I actually served this to carnivore friends that came for dinner and they ate all the vegan pizza before they started on the meat pizzas that were made just for them. These are really versatile. I like to have pre-made crusts in the freezer to pull out and make up quick!

The Second recipe I've actually stolen and veganized it. I realize that doing this to a recipe which came from a Texan is a sin but it was so good I had to have it again. While on my mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I served in Graham Texas. This town is truly unique. On the main square there is a pizza joint that is in the old city jail. I could just picture barny fife there in the good old day. The place is called The Last Pizza Show. If you're ever in Graham (first of all, why would you ever be there?) you've got to check this place out. The owners still come out and talk to you. If you sit at the bar they'll chat with you as they make the pizza. This is where I was introduced to Hamburger Pizza. I'm sure you're saying, ya, whats the big deal. We'll this pizza is made with Mustard as the sauce.

Here is one of my dirty little secrets. I ADORE mustard. I'll take it any way I can get it. This comes from a mutated gene from my grandmother who, no joke, at one time had over 30 different kinds of mustard in her fridge at one time. Did you even know there were that many different kinds of mustard?

Anyway, back to the pizza. For this meat lovers pizza the sauce is made from regular yellow mustard. Try it and see if it's not FANTASTIC!


Vegetable Pizza
1 pizza crust (this recipe makes two crusts)
1 tomato sliced
spinach
vegan cheese
pizza seasoning
bottled spagetti sauce

Layer your pizza crust with sauce, spinach, tomatoes, seasoning, and cheese. Add whatever you like, be creative! Try peppers and artichoke hearts, mushrooms and olives....I better stop. I find drizzling the cheese on last helps hold everything on. Bake at 350 till spinach is wilted.


Hamburger Pizza
1 pizza crust
1 1/2 c meat crumbles
yellow mustard
vegan cheese
pizza seasoning

Layer mustard, "meat," seasoning, and cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: