Day 27: Mushroom & Spinach Crepes

8:13 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

We had crepes a lot as kids, filled will all sorts of goodies. I remember making them at a booth for "french day" at our school. I looked so cool up there with my baray on, flipping these scrumptious delicacies. I'm sure the rest of the 8th graders thought I was cool too.

When I think of crepes, I think of thanksgiving. Every year we made crepes and stuffed them with leftovers from Thanksgiving and ate crepes till just before Christmas (the recipe will follow). This seems fitting since I am so thankful for them! But, back in those days we made the full fat crepes: cream, eggs, everything. Boy were they good.....but boy were they bad!


After searching the web I have found MANY variations, all of which had ingredients that I can't get on my little rock. Finally I discovered this one.....it even uses coconut milk.....now that I have! Like regular crepes, the technique takes a little getting used to. For these I found it best not to flip with the spatula but to loosen the crepe from the pan and show off your mad cooking skills by flipping it in the pan with a flip of the wrist. You can do it! It takes a little practice but you'll look like a pro!


As for taste I give this recipe pretty high marks. They're as good as I remember them!


Vegan Crepes
1 c flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c "milk"
3/4 c water
3 tb coconut milk
3 tb sugar


Filling
1 pkg mushrooms
1/2 onion chopped
vegan cheese
fresh spinach
vegetable broth

Blend everything for the batter in a food processor or whisk in a bowl. Let sit for about 30 minutes! This is key! Pour and swirl in the pan to coat the bottom several times to fill in all the bubble holes. Let cook till the edges are browning. Loosen the edges and bottom with a rubber spatula. Now flip it....flip it good.


In a pan, saute the onion and shrooms. Fill your crepe with the shrooms and a handfull of fresh spinach. In a sauce pan melt the cheese and make it creamy with the vegetable broth. Pour over the crepe and serve.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: