Special: Frijolation aka Refried Beans

9:41 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

Growing up I loved refried beans. I even ate them for breakfast one time, along with a bowl of froot loops (not recommended. The results were not pleasant). They were always my go to when I needed a quick protein. Then, I found out what was in them....no longer my favorite. Pig lard is not exactly my favorite food group if you know what I mean. Then, brilliance struck the 20th century again and vegetarian refried beans were introduced. I was again a happy woman.

I then served as a missionary in Texas for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint.
While I was there I had dinner in a home where the little mexican grandma was actually still in the kitchen making fresh, homemade beans. Do you have any idea how AMAZING homemade refried beans are? Neither did I till I was blessed with this life changing event that...well...changed my life! They were to die for. This recipe was the result of that memorable event......Ladies and Gentlemen....I give you, FRIJOLATION


Refried Beans

1 lb pinto beans
garlic powder
Tony's Seasonings
(yep, that's it)

A lot of people complain of the um...end result shall we say of eating beans. There is a trick to resolve this issue. By letting the beans soak over night they will cook in less time and a lot of the oligosaccharides (ya, I can't say it either) which causes the gas washes out. Rinse the beans a few times before cooking to make sure the oligoosearcadeness is gone and then cook till soft. Once the beans are cooked and slightly cooled add them to the food processor. Save the water from cooking and add a little at a time till the beans blend to the right consistency. Add 1-2 tsp of garlic powder and Tony's till it tastes how you like it. Whala. These freeze REALLY well! No more refried beans that look like the can they came out of!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: