Day 49: Poke - Oka

8:45 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

Poke or Oka are both raw fish dishes. Poke is Hawaiian and Oka is Samoan. They are very similar so I'll give both recipes here. Oka also means "oh my good gosh golly" in Samoan.....Ya, it's that good! Anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis knows that I can be a bit......hormonal. Let's just leave it at that. And the consumption of soy doesn't exactly help that. So, needless to say, my dear husband doesn't allow it in the house. But this is one of the 2 recipes that I do use tofu in to satisfy my fish craving. Interesting, tofu makes me hormonal but I eat it to satisfy meat craving that I get when I'm hormonal......hmmm,.....I'm sensing a vicious cycle.

Vegan Poke

1 pkg extra firm tofu
3-4 firm roma tomatoes
1/2 red onion chopped
2 thingies of green onion
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Slice the tofu into small cubes. Mix the soy sauce and chili powder. Marinate the tofu in the soy sauce for several hours in the fridge. Chop the tomatoes, onion, green onion very fine and mix with the pepper flakes. Drain the tofu but save a bit of the sauce. Lightly mix the tofu with everything else. Try to keep the tofu in cubes. Serve chilled.

Vegan Oka

Follow the same recipe for Poke only instead of tomatoes use cubed cucumber and add coconut milk to the finished mixture. Also serve chilled.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: