Day 46: Hawaiian Meatballs

6:36 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

The first time I had Hawaiian meatballs was at a Samoan luau made by a Samoan auntie.....Ironic. I don't know if that makes them Samoan but whether Hawaiian or Samoan, they were really good. I was however, on a sugar high for days after. Have you ever gotten a sugar high from meatballs? So I asked my auntie what was in them and she told me her secret ingredient. I was shocked because normally I hate this ingredient in real life but in this it's not too bad. I would go a little easier on it then my auntie did or you'll be feelin the buzz for days.

Hawaiian Meatballs
1 c cooked lentils
1/4 c oats
1/4 c flour
1 c brown rice
1/4 c vital wheat gluten
2 tb soy sauce
2 tb EVOO
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 dash nutmeg
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tb bbq sauce

Sauce
1 can crushed pineapple
1/2 c ketchup
1/3 c grape jelly (yep, that's the secret)
If you can't find a safe jelly you can use brown sugar

In your food processor blend the brown rice and lentils till smooth. In a bowl combine everything else, adding the vital wheat gluten at the last. Roll into balls and place in a greased 9 x 13 pan. place on the middle rack and bake on 350 for 15 minutes, turn and bake another 15 minutes.On the other rack under the meatballs place another pan with water. This well help to steam the meatballs so they don't go rubbery. Let stand for at least 5 minutes out of the oven to firm up.
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve over meatballs and rice.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: