Day 59: Granola

5:29 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

My family has often accused us of being "granola." Matthew and I prefer the term "free lance granola-ers"...It implies more natural freedom in choosing our causes instead of going with the crowd.

Since we moved to Amerikan Samoa I have found that those granola, bra-less, more hair, less makeup days come more frequent, much to Matthews displeasure. But he doesn't seem to mind as long as when I say "I'm going granola" I make some granola too.

This is My dad's recipe for granola. One of 3 things that he was allowed in the kitchen to make, but when he made something he made it very well! See for yourself.

Dad's Granola
8 c oats
6 c wheat anything (flakes, pressed...whatever)
2 c wheat germ
3 c shredded coconut
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c brown sugar
10 dates
1 c oil
1 c water
4 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 tsp almond
1 tsp nutmeg
nuts & dried fruit optional

In a food processor blend the oil, water, dates, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, almond extract and nutmeg. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Once thoroughly mixed, coat with the wet mixture. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 till golden brown, turning regularly.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: