Week 5: Sumptuous Soups

4:57 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

Here in Amerikan Samoa it is actually our summer, which is actually not that different from our winter, except for in the summer we have cyclone season - lucky us. We actually just experienced cyclone Wilma....I know, my first, and hopefully only cyclone and it has a ferocious name like Wilma! I'm really embarrassed to even mention her if it weren't for the fact that for three days she brought winter. It was rainy, windy, and actually cool. I was enjoying it. I put on my one pair of sweat pants, and one sweater and I actually wore socks. We stayed inside and watched movies, ate soup and pretended we were having winter. Since we haven't had winter for several years now this was quite a treat. Thus the inspiration for this weeks menu....maybe if I say it differently it will be scarrier...Wil-MAAA....willlllmaaaaa!!!

Week 5
Monday: Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Tuesday: Split Pea Soup
Wednesday: Black Bean Soup
Thursday: Butter Bean Soup
Friday: Tomato with Red Pepper SoupCheck Spelling
Saturday: Mushroom Bisque
Sunday: Rat-ta-toui

All of these can be made as slow cooker meals. Just throw everything into a pot and let it cook all day. Oh the sumptuous smells that will waft through the house beckoning young and old alike to come and partake.....you better make extras for un-invited guests.

Shopping list
vegetable broth
1 pkg or head broccoli
1 lb split peas
salt
1 lb black beans
4 onions
3 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can corn
1 box spanish or cajun rice (I like zatarans)
4 carrots
2-3 russet potatoes
1 lb small white beans
1 lb barley pearls
1 eggplant
any other veggies that are on sale
1 pkg dehydrated mushrooms

One thing I love about soup is that a little goes a long way, both to fill you up and to feed a crowd. It's so comforting and just right for a cold summers night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: