Day 32: Butter Bean Soup

7:25 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

Oh, beans, beans, they truly are the magical fruit.....but not for the reasons you're thinking! I love beans! They are so versatile, so nutritious, and so delicious! I'm positive you could put beans in just about anything.....I know some are cringing at the thought.

I've had some pretty amazing beany experiences! The people of Thailand have a scrumptious bean dessert...hmm....remind me to post that one. I've had beans in ice cream and shaved ice at Motsimotos. I've had beans pretty much every way you can have them....ya, I'm a fan.

My mom makes this "white chili" that is really good, but I sound like a rebel vegan if I call it "butter" bean soup. Truly these are rebel beans! Butter beans are actually Lima beans only under a different name (they must be liberal beans to try that sort of trick). I'm sure they changed their name to get more fans. I'd much rather eat a bean called a butter bean than a Lima bean....wouldn't you? And while we're on names; Lima (pronounced ly-ma) is actually incorrect. They are actually named after Lima Peru (pronounced lee-ma) where they were first discovered by the Spanish sailors, (hmmm, who discovered it before them?) thus we should call them Lema beans........ya...lets stick with butter.

Butter Bean Soup
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1/4 inch thick fresh ginger
2 c vegetable broth
1 can white great northern beans
1 can butter beans
cilantro
1 tomato diced

Saute the chopped onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil in a large pot. Once the onions are transparent add the broth and all the beans. Simmer for 10 -15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and tomato.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: