Day 35: Ratatouille

5:25 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

Matthew and I were living in Kirkland, Washington the summer I turned 25. After a delightful day, Matthew took me to see Ratatouille in the theater. Knowing that we would want healthy snacks that they would not have at the theater we stopped at the store to find some contraband. Since it was my birthday, Matthew decided to spring for some frozen shrimp cocktail (pre-vegan days) after all, this is a food show we're talking about!

Since it was frozen it took 1/2 an hour sitting on the hood of our car till it defrosted but we were still on time for the movie. Once inside the theater we opened our gastronomical feast, at which point shrimp smell filled the theater. I don't want to imagine what the people around us thought as that smelled wafted past. But, the shrimp were delicious, the cocktail sauce superb and the movie entertaining. It was a great birthday.

When we got home I called my grandmother and asked her what ratatouille was. Of course my grandmother knows EVERYTHING! She never ceases to amaze me! She told me what it was and gave me the history and the recipe right off the top of her head!

Now, have you ever looked at an eggplant and thought "what do ya do with this?" - Actually, I can think of plenty of things to do with an eggplant, but lets stick to the point at hand. I think ratatouille (now lovingly referred to as rat-patootie) is the best thing you can ever do with an eggplant!

Ratatouille
1 eggplant cubed
2-3 carrots shredded
1 can stewed tomatoes
any veggies on sale or leftover
1 onion chopped
spices
water

In your slow cooker add all these delicious veggies and enough water to cover. Let simmer on low for most of the day. Stir occasionally and add water as needed. It should be a thick stew when finished.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: