Day 29: Cheesy Broccoli Soup

5:00 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

When my husband and I were first married we were asked by his sister if we could come and watch her two kids for a few days while she and her lovely husband went on vacation. Being newlyweds we gladly accepted and looked forward to our opportunity to play house. When we first arrived we set some ground rules:

1- always let us know where you are and where you're going to be
2- help us make the meals
3-have lots of fun while your parents are gone.

Pretty easy to follow we thought, until we proposed rule number two and my niece started to cry. Realizing that cooking was not her passion, I asked what her favorite thing to eat was. She said cheesy broccoli soup. I was pleasantly pleased with her adult taste so I suggested we make that for her night to cook.

I had been told by her mother that she wouldn't eat meat. I was perfectly pleased with that but then I was informed on what else she didn't eat. I gulped, this was going to be harder than I thought. I then thought that if she could taste something and like it she might be more willing to expand her repertoire.


While my niece was at school I went to the store and gathered the ingredients for her soup. Instead of using milk for the base I thought we could use tofu. As I contemplated this in the produce section of the supper market I knew it wouldn't fly with my niece so I concocted a plan. I was going to make the white sauce before she got home so all she had to do was add the broccoli, cheese, and it was done. What she didn't know wouldn't hurt her and she would love cooking all the more thinking it was so easy.
Well, my plan worked. She groaned as she entered the kitchen but perked up as she learned what she was required to do. At dinner she enjoyed the soup so much she had several helpings! I considered myself a parenting genius and congratulated my future children for having such an amazing mother.

Well, we had a great rest of the week. The children were heavenly, the fun was top drawer and we went away thinking parenting was going to be a breeze.

Several days went by and I received a call from my sister-in-law asking for my great recipe for cheesy broccoli soup. My niece had been raving about it and wanted it again. I hesitantly told my sister what was in it, "uh-oh" she said.
After this ensued a long battle of mid night raids, missing monkeys and long talks about someone named "Princess Lola."
Thus, no more tofu. It has been changed to vegan cheese which we have found even more delightful and less controversial.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
vegan cheese
1 pkg frozen or 1 head broccoli
vegetable broth
salt
garlic powder
In a pan stir the vegan cheese and vegetable broth together till creamy. Add the broccoli till heated through. Add salt and garlic powder to taste.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: