Day 31: Black Bean Soup

5:49 PM The Hydes 2 Comments

It's funny how once you leave home your tastes change. I'm totally convinced that as I drove that long stretch of road away from home to college my tastebuds actually mutated and started liking different things. Perhaps my liberal education liberated my tastebuds as well.....as if I could get more liberal in the kitchen than my mom and grandma....but that's beside the point.

As I said before, at our house we ate strange things like sweet spaghettie and tacos! But, we never had anything with cooked tomatoes. We weren't exactly prohibited, we just never had it. Even tomato soup was looked down upon. It actually wasn't until I was married that I had a tomato based soup. And I liked it. I'm such a rebel, I know.

After my first daring experience, which was this soup, I confronted my mother about what a deprived child I was. How could she do this to her children? Her reply, "ya, I don't like cooked tomatoes." That was it. I was a bit taken back by her brutal honesty. I can think of a lot of things that we didn't like as kids but were "invited" to quietly gunk down. We even had this rule in our house....the "no thank you" rule. This meant that we had to try everything at least once (twice if he was really cute) and if we didn't like it we could say "no thank you." I fully intend on torturing my children with this, and, as payback - Mother, I know your reading this, and I invite you to a no thank you helping! :)


Black Bean Soup

1 lb black beans cooked
2 carrots cubbed
2 potatoes cubbed
1 can corn
1 onion chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 box spanish rice
lime
avacado
cilantro



Place everything but the corn, lime, avacado, and cilantro in your slow cooker and add enough water to fill it. Let simmer till carrots soften. Before serving add the corn, just to warm. Top with lime, avocado and cilantro. Enjoy mom!

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. I will try it however, I'm not sure how one cubb's something - now if you mean cube it as in 2 carrots cubed...that I can do :0) love ya...my spelling bee champion you were not! But it sure makes for entertaining blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told the truth after all these years. Grandma Bette just told me that Grandpa Mitch REFUSED to let beans be cooked in the house. He couldn't stand the smell or the thought of beans cooking...from his traumatic days in the Navy I'm told. So there you have it! It was acquired genetics! It's because of grandpa that we never ate beans!

    ReplyDelete