Caught between a rock and a hard craving

11:57 AM The Hydes 0 Comments

Matthew and I have been...trying to be raw for several weeks now. It all started back in december. It was date night and we were starving. Pizza sounded good and I remembered seeing a flyer for Pizza Hut that all pizzas were $10! who can beat that? So we headed over and went in to order. We ordered a large veggie pizza with cheese (it's the holidays AND were on date night, so why not splurge?) I'll tell you why you don't splurge! We took the pizza home to eat and noticed the cheese tasted a little funny but we thought that since we hadn't had cheese in a long time maybe our taste buds had changed. We ate the whole pizza and the next day we were so sick! I don't mean to be to graphic but my mom rushed over to save us as Matthew and I are both up chucking and as I sat in the bathroom my hands and feet started cramping up till it looked like I had palsy. It was miserable! It took us weeks to recover and our stomachs to get back to normal. After that disaster we decided there was no reason why we shouldn't go raw and swear off eating out!

So here we are, a few weeks into it and we have found a reason not to go raw. It's called nothing to eat. Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I have LOVED a lot about being raw, less slaving in the kitchen, less stress at the store, saving a lot on our grocery bill, and no worry about family dropping in just around dinner time :) jk Plus, did I mention that I finally got over that dang weight loss hump and have dropped 2 of the 5 pounds I've been working on.

So there are A LOT of pluses to going raw but there is one draw back.... The food. I say that kind of tong in cheek (because I'm chewing on it because I'm so hungry jk) See, my humor is even better on this diet.

I've tried several raw recipes from a lot of different websites and let me tell you how elegant and appetizing they look. They are like works of art that are so beautiful you hate to eat them....for more then one reason. They make them look so delicious but one bight and you realize that looks aren't everything.

So here I am caught between a rock and a hard place. My body has officially converted to raw. I crave it, I eat it, and my body likes it...My mouth on the other hand is not so happy. Nothing I've eaten has really hit the spot yet. I'm hopping this problem will subside with time and perseverance. But what do I do till then?

The other day I had some delicious homemade french fries that satisfied my pallet  but the rest of me was pretty pissed of at my mouth for doing it. My brother-in-law explains it this way that there are mouth foods, body foods, and whole foods. I have yet to reach this paradise of wholeness...I'm still stuck somewhere between my mouth and my body.

I have to remind myself that even 10% raw is still better then no raw. Matthew and I agreed that cooked beans were needed and I don't have a problem with that. We still eat some bread but I'm getting much better at that. I just hope to find some satisfying dishes soon or we'll have a crazy woman on our hands.
But - as anyone who knows me will tell you, I am very persistent...(I'm sure they would say stubborn) and I'm not giving up. Here are some of the pictures of the food we have tried in the last few weeks but I'm not going to bother posting the recipes unless they meets a non raw's approval....I may never post again :)

Just kidding - Here are some of the best recipes we have found in the past few weeks. I must tell you - they do take some getting use to but there not all that bad. Let me know what you think!

 Raw Cornmeal Pancakes
 Raw Almond Cheese Ball
 Raw "Chicken" Avocado Salad
 Raw Broccoli Beef with Cauliflower Rice
 Pickled Leaf Wraps
 Raw Oatmeal with Vegan Kefir
It was so nice I posted it twice

You Might Also Like

0 comments: