Kid Week

4:24 PM The Hydes 2 Comments

This post is a little old but never got posted so I thought I'd just throw it in.

Wow....where do I begin? I logged on and saw that I ended on day 77 and it is now day 108. Ok, so I'm a bit behind. But I have a good excuse. As you may have noticed, this week is kid week. I'm excited to say that's because this week we got a kid. We'll we didn't actually get a kid, we've had him for four months now but this week we returned home to the states with him and now we get to announce it to the world. We are so excited to have this bundle of joy. His is the most AMAZING baby you'll ever encounter. He is such a joyful spirt and he captivates all he meets.
As you can see, he is quite "advanced" for his age. He was 20 lbs at 4 months. He has already rolled over and is mimicking sounds. He also is advanced in his eating habits, what can I say, he takes after his mom :)
When we brought him home from the hospital the doctor said to feed him 2 oz every 4 hours. After several days of him crying uncontrollably we thought we would feed him more. After a week we were feeding him 4 oz every 2 hours.....a child after my own heart.
This week we are also starting him on solid foods. We went to a farewell dinner in Amerikan Samoa where an auntie feed him taro (it's like a Samoan potato) Now we can't eat in front of him or he flips out. We have given him tastes of things like banana, papaya, apple, and lemon (I must admit, the lemon was for pure entertainment value) and he loves fruit. We have started putting rice cereal in his bottle and feeding a little with the spoon.
I must say I am quite disappointed that there are no vegan formula options out there. Even the soy based formulas are not totally vegan. But, after weighing all our options we decided to go with an organic dairy based formula that is lactose free. We are planning on weening him into a vegan diet. For those that will undoubtedly react to how we are raising our child I would be happy to  recommend you to several article. We are very aware of his nutritional need and will make sure they are met with all diligence. But look at the kid...Does he look like he's in need of nutrients?
 

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. He is beautiful and no doubt much bigger now. People will always fuss over what people feed their children when they are vegan or vegetarian but see nothing wrong with letting their kids eat sugary colored cereals or McDonalds chicken nuggets and fries. Keep doing the best you can and thank you for your wonderful recipes.

    -Jessica, NC, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica -

    Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate the encouragement! It's hard enough being a parent, we really should be supporting each other in all our efforts. I have to agree with you that he is beautiful! :) Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete