Day 78: Laundry Soap

7:05 PM The Hydes 0 Comments

I learned to do the laundry at a very young age....of coarse I didn't do the laundry per say, but I knew how to do it. I'm sure we went through laundry detergent like it was water. There was always that mound of laundry waiting by the machine. I used to hear stories from my grandma about laundry day at her house growing up. This is when they did it all by hand on a rock in the river or something like that.

In Western Samoa they do their laundry in a 5 gallon bucket at the local village pool/"laundry mat." Once they get to Amerikan Samoa and find out about the washing machines it's bye bye bucket!

I find it's best to make a big batch of this. To take it to the laundromat we put it in gallon jugs but if you have a left over bucket, that will work great too.

Laundry Soap
2 bars ivory soap pulverized or 2 c soap flakes
2 cups baking soda
2 cups borax
6 cups hot water

In your bucket add the ivory, soda, and borax. Boil the water and pour over powder stirring well. Let sit till cooled. Use 1/2 cup of soap per load.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: